Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Left Over Vegetable Soup

2Live a life filled with love for others, following the example of Christ, who loved you and gave himself as a sacrifice to take away your sins. And God was pleased, because that sacrifice was like sweet perfume to him. Ephesians 5:2 (NLT)

Time flies when you are having fun. It was three years ago today that my first son Colby was born. We had tried for about a 1 year or two to try and have a baby, but it just never worked out so we quit trying. We didn’t try not to have one, just quit trying to have one. I will never forget the day Misty told me and the following weeks as we waited to tell our families.

Over Thanksgiving weekend Misty was not felling good and felt sick. We didn’t think a lot about it that weekend, but we were starting to wonder. We decided to wait another week before we did anything to see if anything changed. I guess Misty just couldn’t wait :)

We had vegetable soup one night and the next evening when I came home, Misty met me at the door and all she said was we are having left over vegetable soup for dinner and I’m pregnant. Man, what a way to be greeted at the door.

We decided to tell our families over the Christmas holiday. We found a grandparent’s frame and put a note in it saying Merry Christmas mama and papa see you in Aug. and let my parents open it up as a Christmas gift. Misty took a similar note and attached it to a present for her grandmother. At this time, we still hadn’t been to the doctor’s office yet. That wasn’t until Jan. 4th.

I will always know that date as I keep the calendar page from my page a day calendar for that day. It was from the Life Application Study Bible calendar and the above verse was what was on the page.

The study notes for that day: “Just as children imitate their parents, we should imitate Christ. His great love for us led him to sacrifice himself so that we might live. Our love for others should be of the same kind – a love that goes beyond affection to self-sacrificing service. Let your love be self-sacrificing, like Christ’s.

One thing around our house is that it’s boring. Colby is always doing or saying something that will keep you laughing and sometimes, trying not to laugh as he is doing something he is not supposed to, but the way he says it just makes you turn your head. One day I was trying to get him to do something and he wanted to argue with me about it and he let me know. “I am arguing with you,” was his comment.

Kids always find ways to remind you that you are truly a parent. Colby is doing a great job with potty training and one evening at a restaurant, he reminded me again about parenthood. He just came back with Misty from the restroom and he let me and all of the restaurant know that he went. Misty told him to quit down some. He told her that he only told me. :)