Monday, May 22, 2006

First game

I took Colby to his first baseball game Sunday afternoon. It didn’t go as good as I had hoped but it was fun. The facilitator of my men’s group give me two tickets of his along with a parking pass to the Astros Class A club here in Lexington, the Lexington Legends. We got there in the middle of the first inning and got our food. Colby wanted a hotdog and a big pretzel. We each got a hotdog and fries to start and we found our seats which were four rows behind home plate. Thanks Jon. Before going inside though, I had put some sun screen on Colby to keep him from getting burned. Well, I put too much on and as he was eating, he kept rubbing his eyes. I noticed his eye was getting a little red and after he finished eating, we went to see if we could get the sun screen out of his eye. I took him to the restroom and tried, but didn’t do any good. So, off to the first aid station we go. They took some gauze and soaked it in saline and I held it on his eye for a couple of minutes and that helped a bunch. He was a trooper. He didn’t cry or complain any at all. I told him several times that I was sorry for putting to much sun screen on him and he kept telling me it was ok.
After that we started back to our seats when we ran into “Big L” the mascot of the Legends. Colby still doesn’t like to be around characters dressed up like that so we stayed away until Big L left. Colby then wanted his pretzel so we shared one and ate it before going back to our seats. After the pretzel was gone, Colby informed me he was ready to go home. It was the fourth inning but he wanted to go so we went back to our seats first and had someone take our picture together standing behind home plate.
I took him into the souvenir shop first where he looked around and held up a ball and mini bat. I asked him which one he wanted and he said he wanted the ball and the ball.
By the time we had left, it was the end of the fifth inning and the Legends were not doing so good, so that was ok with me. Colby told me that he only left because of his eye and that he would have stayed if it hadn’t got sun screen in his eye. I told him that next time we would come to a night game so he wouldn’t have to have sun screen and I can’t wait. Now I wonder if I can talk Jon out of some of those tickets ;)